Engineer: Core Service Support
2013-03-05 | South Africa | Innovation Centre | Network Group
• To provide 24X7 surveillance on all allocated core network nodes and provides complete end to end fault management during a shift at the CNOC.
Monitoring and Support
• Monitor the allocated core network nodes effectively and promptly and react to all network-related faults.
• Monitor all core 2G and 3G network nodes
• Monitor all IP and GPRS Data network nodes
• Perform 1st Line Support to all Core Network Nodes, including GSM Switching, CS and PS core, IP and GPRS Data.
• Ensure efficient troubleshooting and fault diagnosis is complete and accurate.
• This includes the actioning of all alarms and trouble tickets and adherence to procedures
• All escalated alarms must be captured on the recommended trouble ticketing system
• All alarm details and diagnosis methodology must be captured on the trouble ticket
• Assume responsibility for correctly coordinating and resolving trouble tickets for faults assigned to DCG, HLS, IP and GPRS Data support.
• Regular updates for all escalated and open trouble tickets must be elicited from operational support
• Follow up on these trouble tickets and ensure a speedy response
• Ensure that escalation procedures are properly adhered to.
• The NOC Escalation procedure and matrix must be applied to all critical and major alarms
• All critical and major outages and alarms must be escalated on SMS as per the NOC escalation procedure.
• Liaise with SMC personnel in the diagnosis and repair of difficult network problems related to core services
• Provide ideas and feedback on software tools, procedures and improvements to NOC Core Services functionality.
• Practical implementation of ideas and tools to increase productivity in the NOC
• Implementation of new processes and procedures to increase the productivity in the NOC
Co - ordination
• Co-ordinate the fault based on input from the various operational support areas.
• Co-ordinate faults and planned work across support departments to ensure the activity is managed from end to end.
• Ensure that all planned work is managed and communicated on time and to the correct business units.
• Manage Faults that need to be handed to external suppliers/vendors as well as other business units.
• Submit reports on network failures and performance on a weekly basis
• All shifts must be handed over by means of a pre-approved report.
• Weekly shift report must be complied on a rotational basis.
• Incident and Root Cause analysis reports must be managed and requested from the Operational Support areas.
• Ensure that Core Network objectives are actioned to company requirements and KPIs are met.
• Manage the network in alignment with NWG KPI’s.
• Carry out any extra duties as given from time to time by the Manager.
KPA Quality Standards/ Measures (KPI’S for job)
1. Log all critical alarms on ACC within agreed SLA.
2. Send out SMS escalations to relevant groups for all critical alarms within SLA times.
3. Escalate logged events to 2nd level Support within 30 minutes of alarm time.
4. Update escalated events every 30 minutes until alarm has cleared.
5. Compile and submit shift reports after each shift.
National Diploma / Degree in a telecommunications or a related field at this level.
CCNA, GSM knowledge and understanding advantageous.
At least two years in a technical role within a GSM / IP telecommunications environment
GSM technology and GSM switching principles, WCDMA Knowledge - Awareness of the telecommunications industry, computer competence (MS Office suite), Database basics, cost-benefit analysis, system engineering methodologies, Internal awareness and organisation understanding, GSM standards, GSM Association specifications and test procedures on National and International roaming, AXE system commands required to perform tasks, SS7 signalling.
Skills / physical competencies:
• MTN vocabulary
• Industry Knowledge
• Knowledge of department values, policies and procedures
• Problem solving
• Stress management
• Time management
• Relationship management
• Network architecture
• GSM protocols
• GSM call routing principles/flow
• Ericsson Equipment
Resilient, Flexible, Leadership, High energy levels, Motivational, Tactful - Adaptable/flexible, analytical thinking, coping, creative thinking and innovation, insight and judgement, Integrity and ethics, interpersonal skills, self-management, team work, co-operative, tolerant.
Be professional at all times. Show accuracy in all tasks.
VIEW MTN SOUTH AFRICA WEBSITE